KARACHI – The family of Karachi-based young businessman Mir Raza has rejected the Sindh government’s decision to establish a judicial commission to investigate his death.
Mir Raza’s father’s lawyer, Jibran Nasir, said the family would approach the Sindh High Court on Monday seeking the formation of a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) and would oppose the judicial commission.
Nasir said the judicial commission was formed without informing Mir Raza’s family, while its terms of reference (ToRs) had also not been made public.
He said the police investigation report was due to be presented before a magistrate on Monday and questioned why the Sindh government announced the judicial commission before the police submitted its findings.
“Is it because the government already knows the outcome of the police investigation and does not agree with it?” Nasir questioned.
He also questioned why a JIT had not been formed and why the alleged criminal conduct of police officers had not been investigated.
‘We have been dissatisfied with the investigation from the start’
In a video statement issued alongside her parents, Mir Raza’s sister said the family learned about the judicial commission through the media.
She said police were supposed to submit their report by August 24, but the report had not yet been made public and the family had not been informed about the commission’s terms of reference.
“Do they already know what is in the report? We do not agree with this decision,” she said.
Mir Raza’s sister said the family had been dissatisfied with the investigation from the beginning and questioned the basis for establishing the commission when the police investigation had not yet been completed.
She said the family had written to the Sindh chief minister on August 19, raising several questions and requesting the formation of a JIT.
“We will approach the High Court tomorrow morning. We oppose the judicial commission,” she said.
